Toxic Mold & Black Mold Removal Information
Ozone helps relieve the suffering from some allergies caused by black mold, mildew, pollen, dust, and pet dander.
Ozone kills odors from sources such as: cigarettes and other tobacco products, smoke damage, paint fumes, cooking, cleaning, decaying matter, pets, urine, and pesticides.
Mold is a major problem in today’s airtight environments. Home builders and contractors are worried that mold could be the next asbestos, as homeowners and condo owners are bringing lawsuits, claming that defective construction caused mold to grow even in new homes.
In an effort to conserve energy, new houses are insulated extremely well. The doors and windows are thicker and the house is sealed with vapor barriers, so tight, that it can and does create mold problems.
Stachybotrys Chartarum (atra) is a greenish-black fungus found worldwide that thrives in materials such as straw, compost, wet leaves, dry wall, carpet, ceiling tiles, insulation, etc. The fungus (mold), before drying, is wet and slightly slimy to touch.
This toxic mold grows in areas with high relative humidity. Breathing in even dried molds of this kind can causes respiratory problems, headaches, and nosebleed.
Independent laboratory tests at Penn State University have shown that common household bacteria, mold, mildew, and fungus are greatly reduced by the addition of various amounts of ozone in typical household environments.
Specifically; E-Coli, Salmonella Choleraesuis, Staphylococcus Aureua, Candida Albicans, and Aspergillus Niger (mold) have all been shown to have dramatic reductions in population.
Indoor mold can be one of the most insidious environmental risks we face. Mold is routinely found on shower walls or around window air conditioners and dehumidifiers where moisture condenses.
These areas should be cleaned regularly. But what about the mold that is hidden away, inside walls, under carpets and in damp attics, basements and crawl spaces?
Spores from this hidden mold can be circulating all through the house completely undetected, yet wreaking havoc with every part of your body and your mind, as well. Symptoms range from respiratory ailments such as stuffy nose, itchy throat, wheezing and shortness of breath to more usual complaints of ear infection, asthma, and bronchitis.
Such subtle symptoms like fatigue, headaches, inattentiveness and dermatitis are also possible reactions to an unhealthy environment.
It has been reported that as much as 60% of all common health problems have a direct or indirect link to toxic mold and it can be a major source of depression in humans.
If you see mold or suspect you have a mold problem, pick up a mold test kits from your local home products supply retailer. Send in an air sample and have it analyzed by an independent test lab for around $100.
Ozone generators are one of the most effective , yet least costly methods by far, of killing mold and mildew.
It is important to remember, however, that in order for ozone to kill mold, the concentration needs to be well in excess of the allowable levels (0.1 ppm) for human exposure. Mold and mildew needs to ?soak? in ozone for the best results. Just like dirty pots and pans are soaked in water, ozone needs to kill one layer after another of these nano size spores. We recommend each area be treated for approximately 30 hours or longer.
Therefore the mold infected area needs to be saturated with ozone, room by room, with the machines operating at their highest settings, for days, even weeks at a time if necessary, while remaining unoccupied by humans or pets.
Need to remove mold caused by flooding? Read Safely Removing Mold Caused by Flooding.